- Process onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat 1 1/2 tbs oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion mixture and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add lentils and stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until stock is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, process spinach in the processor until finely chopped. Add spinach and cream to the lentils. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until wilted and warmed through. Season.
- While the spinach is cooking, preheat grill to high. Line a baking tray with foil. Place tomato, cut side up, on tray. Drizzle with 2 tsp of the remaining oil. Sprinkle with sugar. Season. Grill for 4-5 minutes or until tender and lightly charred. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in vinegar and 2 tsp remaining oil.
- Pat fish dry with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt. Season with pepper. Heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook fish, skin-side down, for 3 minutes or until golden. Turn. Cook for 1-2 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Divide spinach mixture, trout and tomato among plates. Sprinkle with herbs.
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 1 small carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 stick celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil Light Flavour
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried (see Notes)
- 400g can lentils, rinsed, drained
- 185ml (3/4 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 150g pkt baby spinach leaves
- 80ml (1∕3 cup) light thickened cooking cream
- 200g grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 (about 180g each) ocean trout fillets or salmon fillets, skin on
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Baby herbs, to serve